GNOME is a popular *NIX desktop environment, which has a very soft, simple, and user-friendly interface many have tried to emulate. It is possible to get GNOME themes for Windows XP by using a hacked uxtheme.dll file.
Let’s install our hacked DLL file:
- Download a small tool called Replacer. Let’s extract Replacer to the desktop.
- Run the file replacer.cmd
- Open up C:\Windows\system32 and find uxtheme.dll. Drag the file into the command prompt window. Hit enter.
- Drag that unlocked uxtheme.dll file you found earlier into the command prompt window. Hit enter.
- Agree to replace the file, and when the tool finishes, restart your computer.
Done! Now lets get some awesome GNOME visual styles.
To install these styles, extract them to (C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes). The name of the msstyles file should match the name of the folder it’s in.
Enjoy your newly skinned Windows XP!